Monday, May 24, 2010

ATP Tennis Player Rankings

I don't proclaim to be some all-knowing tennis guy. I know what I know and that's all that I know and it's enough to get me by. To add to my ignorance (not that this is something I really care to research), I saw an article today on TENNIS.com with the following headline:
Federer, Nadal, Djokovic could be No. 1 after Paris

Click here for the full story while it lasts
So, also on TENNIS.com there is an ATP player rankings graphic. See screen shot below.


My confusion comes with the huge gap in points between Federer and Nadal. It's like a 3,200 point difference. Again, I don't know how the points are awarded or distributed but my thought is that even if someone else wins The French Open, I wouldn't think that a 3,200 point gap would be made up that quickly.

Okay, so curiosity killed the cat and I had to Google how the rankings worked. After a quick read and temporary absorption, I see that the article is accurate. The way the points are added per round reached would make the winner of The French Open gaining around 4,600 points. Therefore, depending on who wins it (Nadal or Djokovic) then Federer would have to progress far enough to capture enough points to add to his overall points and maintain the points lead for number one.

Get all that? Yeah, see, it's really not that important in the grand scheme of all things tennis, especially if the player has already been #1 for so long.

Here's to late nights because of the time difference between Dallas, Texas and Paris, France!


No comments: