Tuesday, May 18, 2010

In the news 05/18/2010

From the Dallas News, headline reads:
Plano-based Frito-Lay urged to drop sponsorship of Arizona sporting events

Click here for story while it lasts
Boycott Frito-Lay? Are you effing serious? Give me a break. That's like when people thought about doing the same thing to Wal-Mart. The problem is that there is no "real" substitution to Frito-Lay (or Wal-mart).

As the article quoted the Accion America president, the Latino community spends "billions and billions" on Frito-Lay products. So, where are they going to spend that "billions" instead? NO WHERE! They may try but they will always return until there is a comparable replacement. Until that time, good luck with calling a boycott! The LULAC executive director has got it right by saying, "Let me be clear: There is no LULAC boycott of Frito-Lay or any other company."

How many little Mexican kids are going to be pleading, "Mama, quiero mi Cool Ranch Doritos!"

The problem with these "immigration groups" is that they only offer reaction to the cities or government ideas/plans to "fix" illegal immigration. They don't offer suitable replacement ideas. Hell, they don't even offer the first idea. I think these little fuckers WANT the illegals to enter and stay in America. Why wouldn't they? It gives them more of a showing at these protests to have legals and illegals!

What these groups and even people that complain about the efforts of cities or states to enforce the federal law is that they aren't doing it to be mean, necessarily. You are always going to have a few bad apples enforcing stupidly but the greater overall good is to be a legal immigrant. What are illegals teaching their legal (by birth in the States) children by not admitting that they are breaking a very serious law? Do these children even care about the illegality of their parents' or grandparents' crimes? Is being illegal really not as bad as being a murderer or rapists? There is no levels of breaking the law. You either break it or you don't. It's the punishment that has levels dependent on the severity of your crime. But breaking the law is still breaking the law. It's pretty cut and dry!

I'm all for people having to carry identification to prove their legal immigration status. I don't think we should limit it to just Mexicans. We should check ALL people who could be questionable. Is my Russian neighbor here legally? How about the German, the British, the Somalian, the Nigerian, the Polish, or the Canadian? Just because there are more browns here illegally doesn't mean they should be the only ones checked! Granted, they are more so we have to start somewhere but let's start and get on with it.

And just so you know, this comes from someone who has been profiled since I was a kid although I look more Asian as a child than a teenager and older. I'm half Hawaiian and half White. The White gene gives me less Asian features and American people only see certain races: White, Black, Mexican and Asian. I don't have a fair complexion. I have black hair and tan skin. I don't have very slanted eyes or a flat nose. What do you think people automatically assume what I am? Mexican. Although 90% of the people who assume I'm Mexican are White, about 8% are Mexican and 2% are Asian.

How many Asians can say they've gone into a Chinese buffet restaurant and been asked what you would like to drink in Spanish by the Chinese waiter? I'm slammed and disrespected by my own peeps! :-)

How many people can say that they've been pulled over by the police with their girlfriend in the passenger seat and the cop asks her if she is alright and with me on her own accord? My girlfriend at the time, who is also now my wife, is White.

How many people have gone to a job fair when a recruiter (this one was a UPS and is why I don't endorse them or will ever work for them) automatically marks on a card that I'm Hispanic without asking. I asked him why he assumed I was Hispanic. I told him he was a racist honky mother fucker and told him to give me the card. I ripped it in half and threw it in his face. (Beeyawtch!)

How many people can say that they've been called spic or wetback while walking down the street by (mostly white) kids as well as adults? How many of those kids will think twice about name calling after I gave them the Nacho Libre beating they deserved? Ha!

All I'm saying is that profiling sucks balls. But if the paperwork is in order and you are legal, wouldn't you much rather know they are trying to "clean up" your country than try to deter them from doing so? Until a "better" solution is brought to the table, I think some things need to be tried. Again, I don't expect things to go smoothly. That's human nature more than it is White nature, Black nature or whatever-race nature.

It's called trial-and-error. It's got to be done! Somethings got to be done! About everything that's wrong in this country! I could go on and on but my soap box is done for now!


No comments: