Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rusty Taco - 3rd and probably final visit

Now that I am done with my classes, I actually get to take a lunch instead of working through it to "make up" the time. So at work last Friday, I got talked into going to the Rusty Taco for lunch. I didn't want to go and I pleaded my case but the two lady coworkers I went with wanted to try it out. I reluctantly went along. I had already formed my opinion (not positive) after my two previous visits but who was I to deny them their own experience even though I know them and I knew they would not be impressed.

We got lucky with parking as we arrived because someone was leaving just as we got there. The line wasn't too bad either. I was surprised (even though my opinion is low) because it has been a pretty hopping place since its opening especially during lunch.

The ladies ordered first and my main recommendation to them was to get the chips and salsa for $1 because it's the best value and they give you good amounts of chips and salsa for that buck! Lady coworker #1 ordered just a shrimp taco (mistake!) because she's watching her diet these days. Lady coworker #2 ordered the grilled fish taco and chips and salsa. I ordered the two beef brisket tacos, a fried fish taco and chips and salsa because I was NOT going to still be hungry like the last few times I've visited. I also wanted to taste the fried fish to see if it tasted good without the sauce.

We sat outside because it was a pretty nice weather day: sunny with a slight breeze. The patio area was well occupied with many guests and the breeze made the 1st 90-degree day awesome. Heat isn't the issue - it's the humidity along with the heat. Anyway...

Lady coworker #1's name was called to pick up her order. She came back with a huge tray with just her little taco in the middle of it. Her first words when she got back to our table was, "What the hell is that!? Is that all!?" My response was, "I told you!"

Lady coworker #2's name was called to pick up her order. She came back with a huge tray with her little taco and a basket of chips with salsa. She kind of had the same look as lady coworker #1 at the bewilderment of the small size of the taco.

My name was called to pick up my order. I knew what to expect so I had no adverse reaction to what I saw on the tray. I sat down and we all began to eat.

They thought their tacos were good but a little skimpy and non-fulfilling for $2. I told them I tried to warn them before we left but they HAD to experience it for themselves if only just to say that they did.

I took extra care in eating my fried fish taco since I wanted to see what it tasted like without the added sauce/dressing. Amazingly, I didn't get a fish taste. Weird since it was supposed to be a FISH taco. I actually think the Van de Kamp's fish sticks and/or fillets tasted more like fish compared to this taco. Add the sauce and it's a whole new flavor but it still doesn't taste like a fish taco with sauce. The beef brisket tacos were good flavored as before but still lacked those filler ingredients such as lettuce, tomato and cheese. I was still kind of hungry but thankfully I had the chips and salsa.

So, we all agreed the chips and salsa were very good. They also came to their own conclusion which aligned with mine about the size and filling of the taco was not worthy of a $2 price tag. Bad for the customer but good for Rusty Taco as you will want to buy more to get your tummy filled.

The outside dining experience was great. The weather was very cooperative if not a little windy but it was a pleasant temperature and good company. I figure the Rusty Taco can be a good after work happy hour type hang out because of the small tacos and cheaply priced alcohol. I think beer runs something like $2.50 to $3.50. So, I believe it's comparable to other happy hour type facilities - I really don't know as I don't drink.

Anyway, I think I've had my fill of Rusty Taco. I experimented. I tested the menu. I'm done. It's really not one of those places that I feel I'd like to visit once in a while or ever again at all. I will probably deny any future offers of going unless someone else is picking up the tab. There's just way too many places in the area to get better tasting and more flavorful food for $8-$10. Some people may see it differently than I (they do because I still see lines out the door when I drive by) but I'd much rather head a few doors north down Greenville Avenue and hit Baker's Ribs. It's better worth my money.


No comments: