Sunday, June 15, 2008

Black things in envelopes

The other day the wife, youngest kid and I were walking around Half Price Books.

I frequent the Sci-Fi section for my Star Wars books but I couldn't remember which ones I have compared to those I need.

The youngest didn't find any books either.

The wife found some books she wanted to get for her class (I think) she teaches.

We head to the check-out area and by the registers they have the media racks that contain audio and video mediums.

The youngest is browsing the racks with me and says, "Daddy, there are all these black things in envelopes! What are they?"

I explained that they were called records or LPs and they used to be the main medium for recording music to. The youngest responded hearing of them before but never seeing them.

I had to laugh because it just goes to show that some generations have never come across other audio/video mediums and probably never will. Eventually it may be like in that movie Demolition Man where you can only find such things from the past in a museum.

It's funny. Sometimes I wish I had a record player and some records of music that I like because there is just something about hearing it played from an LP. I'm sure more of the classic type music--not classical although it sounds good too--sounds good through the LP medium. The likes of like 50s, 60s and maybe even 70s sound very good from LPs but there are some that you can get on CDs these days, as well. I have an Elvis Presley's Greatest Hits in mono that sounds pretty good but it's not quite the same.

Anyway, before I ramble further, the whole point was the funny discovery and statement from my youngest.

No comments: