Friday, June 06, 2008

Summer school 2008

Well, one week and two days are down in the books for summer school session one. In case I didn't mention it before, I'm taking the first level class of Financial Management. This professor is supposed to make it super easy for the students -- that's probably why he's the most popular one students want to take -- and so far he hasn't disappointed. The problem is that he didn't require a book for this summer class this time around (he says there's really no point since it's so condensed which I'm thankful for as I fully expected to plop down a c-note+ for the book for this class) and he only is giving two tests...no quizzes or supplemental grades. He lectures for the hour and forty minutes of class. He said take good notes and don't miss class unless you have someone you know in class that takes good notes as well. I am hoping his tests are as simplistic as I've heard because they are worth 100 points each and of course he bases the grade on a point system. I don't know what an A, A-, B+, etc is right off as I don't have his syllabus in front of me. Anyway, that's the nerve-racking part is that you don't know how the test are going to be or what is going to be covered.

Yes, I'm one of those that worries about the test before it happens. I'm not like this with everything and I'm not like this with all classes or even many. I just don't like not having those "padding" grades from the likes of quizzes and homework. Once again, I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not taking session two because we are planning on going on a REAL vacation this summer. We'll see. We want to go the beach, the coast, and I'm not talking Galveston, Texas. I've been there and it was fine for the first beach that I can remember seeing (at the age of like 23). I used to go home to Hawaii with my mom when I was much younger because back then they didn't charge you for a child that could ride in your lap. I guess it was like, if they don't take a seat why charge them. So the few times I did travel with my mom it was very young and I don't remember it much. Occasionally, I would dream about Hawaii, the beach and sometimes when my much older brothers were there. I would then ask my mom about what I saw in my dreams and she would tell me that it actually happened or I was actually there. It was kind of weird how it would come back to me like that. It would be so vivid in my dreams that I felt like I was really there at the time of the dream. I guess that's how dreams are but it felt more than just like an imagination thing to me when it would happen. Weird but cool.

Anyway, in 1995 we went to Hawaii, Oahu specifically, for a family reunion on my mom's side. My wife (girlfriend at the time) and I went for six days on a spur of the moment kind of thing. I mean we knew about it in advance but I didn't think I could swing it financially. My future mother-in-law worked for American Airlines at the time and she actually offered to get us some of those employee-discount tickets where you basically just pay the taxes on the tickets. We had to fly stand-by which wasn't much of an issue until we flew back -- we had to take an earlier flight that was leaving right then because we got bumped off our other flight. In fact the flight we got on was basically on the tarmac and they were holding it for us to board as we hauled ass across the Honolulu airport!

So, long story short, once I experience the beautiful beaches and ocean of Hawaii, the dirty water of the Gulf off Galveston just couldn't compare. That's why we want to take the kids to like Florida which would still be the Gulf side but with the more beautiful water and beaches.

We are looking to spend a whole week there and we have to take our dog. It would be much easier without the pet but we just don't feel that we can find anyone who would watch and take care of her like we prefer. Plus, she is technically part of the family for us (crazy, I know but my kids would be lost without her). We found a few places that are pet friendly and almost all places are like $1,200 for the week or more.

Fucking paying for this is going to suck but it's worth it. I WANT, NEED and DESERVE a vacation and so does the wife and kids. We are excited. I hope it doesn't fall through. Between gas for driving, the weekly rental, and entertainment while there, I'm sure I could buy a house in McKinney or somewhere on the way outskirts of the Dallas area. That's the only part I'm not looking forward to...the paying off of the debt after the fun. The fun and spending is always good. It's getting those credit card statements afterward that make those good times even better. NOT!

No comments: