Thursday, June 05, 2008

The U.S. National Debt

I learned something in class the other day.

Did you know that the size of our national debt is $9 trillion? Fuck yeah, it is. Can you believe it?

Of course, my prof thinks that's not that bad when you look at out nation's economy (or GDP=Gross Domestic Product) which is $13 trillion.

So, we are $4 trillion in the red then right? Not really. The $9 trillion will never be reduced but it can be managed...basically, slowly increase instead of rapidly. Oh yeah, and as long as our economy increases at the same rate or better than the national debt.

That's comforting, huh? I like how economists and financial management people speak of trillions of dollars like they are speaking more of ones, tens and twenties.

Oh well, that's what I learned so far. It makes it all worth attending class from 8am to 9:40am, Monday thru Friday. I feel blessed!

No comments: