Tuesday, November 17, 2009

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (seen it)

I posted about this movie here. I finally got a chance to see it. I must say that it was enjoyable although somewhat lame at times. I guess because I'm old school G.I. Joe A Real American Hero kind of guy.

Sometimes the graphics looked really, REALLY fake especially in the underwater action scenes. This isn't a bad thing if it was all "fake" looking to make the viewer assume it was intentional, whether it was or not, but it was bothersome the way it was made. And yes, I know that this isn't real but it doesn't have to look so unreal!

The Joe characters are very loosely based on the animated series. In the animated series, each character had a specialty about them that made them unique and vital to the protection of the world from Cobra. I just didn't get the "specialties" from the movie. The only ones really close to the series were Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes. And what about Sgt. Slaughter! WTF!? LOL! I guess that's for the sequel(s) if they come.

All in all, it was a decent action flick. But like all remakes of my childhood shows, this falls far from the tree. The acting was okay. The costumes almost non-existent. The women were far too covered up but they were exact on matching their hotness compared to the animated series. I wasn't into the body suits that made them faster, stronger, better. To me, that just wasn't what made the characters of G.I. Joe although some of them did have "add-ons". If I paid $10 (which I wouldn't) to see this in the movie theater, I would have been disappointed. Since my viewing cost me about $1 (thanks to my Blockbuster Total Access), I think it was well worth my payment. Would I recommend to my friends? Maybe. Would I buy or rent it again? Nope. Will I watch sequels, if any? Yes. I mean look at some of the flicks I've seen (here, here, here, and here)...just to link to a few.

And just for shits and giggles, while Googling all these fucking links, I came across a pretty decent homemade costume of the Cobra Commander here.


Live Long and Prosper!

No comments: