Thursday, September 02, 2010

In the news 09/02/2010

Headline from the Star-Telegram reads:
Bedford high school student turns in dead woman's purse

Click here for article while it lasts
Just a few questions:
  1. Why did the kid(s) take the purse in the first place?
  2. After taking the purse, did they immediately say, "Let's turn it in"? or...
  3. Did the teens feel guilty and decide to turn the purse in once they found it belonged to a dead lady?
  4. Why not just keep the purse? (it probably didn't contain much valuables)
I'm not condemning the kids. I just like to wonder without ever getting answers. I like to frustrate myself like that. Besides, as a teen, I'm sure I did a lot of "questionable" things too. But now that I'm an adult and father, Hell hath no fury like me being pissed off! :-)

It reminds me of a time in junior high when me, my older brother, a guy friend and two girl friends were walking along a walking/running trail in the local park. I found a wallet. Opening it up revealed a driver's license, credit cards, and $500 in cash. Whoa! There was five of us and that meant $100 each. Booyah! The girls were sisters, one was very God-fearing and the other was a tad more wild than her older sister. They both agreed though that returning the wallet would be the "right" thing to do. WTF? What dumb ass goes for a jog/walk with a loaded wallet? Finders Keepers, bitchass! The girls' opinion somehow won (probably because I was the only male - bro is gay, guy friend was in the closet at the time and then the girls) and they returned the wallet to the address on the DL. I can't remember if they mailed it or did it in person but the guy somehow knew their home address. A few days later they came to my house - they lived two houses from me - to show that the guy thanked them by sending them both a dozen red roses. Again, WTF? They didn't find it. I found it!

No, I'm not bitter after all these years. Okay, maybe just a little bit. I mean I could have invested that $100 at age 13 and by now 20+ years later it could have been a million dollars or more! So, why be bitter?


No comments: