Thursday, December 17, 2009

21 Jump Street

Do you remember 21 Jump Street? You know the show that basically brought Johnny Depp, aka Officer Tom Hanson, into the public eye. It was so long ago, like 22 years ago, I know but sometimes I can remember it like it was just yesterday. Ah...Anyway, I just happened to be searching for something else that led me to this topic (see below) but what caught my eye was a quote/statement:

[Johnny] found the teen-idol status irritating, noting that he felt "forced into the role of product" and that it was "a very uncomfortable situation and I didn't get a handle on it and it wasn't on my terms at all." Depp promised himself that after his contract on the series expired, he would only appear in films that he felt were right for him.
Now, what did he expect the possibility of fame and notoriety would bring if he became a well-liked actor? When you want to act and make money, sometimes you have to take whatever pays you. Luckily for Johnny, this show did well, he became popular and for this he eventually could pick films he wanted versus taking any role just to earn a paycheck.

It could be me just taking it wrong but it sort of sounded like he was a little ungrateful which seems to be the going rumor about him over the many years. If you really hate Hollywood and "dumb" America (you know the two entities that allow you to earn so much money to have 2-3 or more houses in different countries), then just go the fuck away! Ingrate!

Again, I could just be having my woman-side show and am on my period, blowing this way out of proportion but then I see more quotes. Yes, I just posted about how Wikipedia isn't "credible enough" but I've seen these statements in other articles but just didn't give much notice to it before.

Sometimes I'm amused at the ignorance of people who hate the country (USA) and entity (Hollywood) that has given them the opportunity to afford all their luxuries.

And.....fade to black...end scene.

So, how did I get to the rant about Mr. Depp?

A coworker was returning his Netflix movies through the office mail pickup. I asked what he was returning and one of the movies was The Conversation.

I've never heard of it so I Googled and found it on IMDB. Turns out it's a damn old movie made in 1974 starring Gene Hackman, Cindy Williams, Harrison Ford and Teri Garr to name a few of the well-known-by-name actors. One of the actors that is probably more well-known by face than name (at least for me anyway) is Frederick Forrest. I was curious to see who he was and from what role I might recognize him. I did recognize his mug shot and after looking at his filmography, that's when I saw that he was Capt. Jenko on 21 Jump Street until he was replaced (for some reason, I didn't research that part) by Capt. Fuller aka Steven Williams.

So, that took me to the reason and title of this post.


No comments: