Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wikimedia Foundation

I was Googled something and it gave me a link, among many, to Wikipedia. After clicking on the link I get this banner. Click the pic to see where it goes.

I don't mean to sound like a prick but I can't donate to something that I can't use as a verified, respected reference in my class essays and papers. I have used Wikipedia many, many times for general information searches about many topics but I have to find professor-authorized sources to actually quote or reference the material that may have been in the Wiki article. It's just the way it is in classes because Wikipedia is update-able by anyone and everyone so the resources can't always actually be reliable or credible.
Imagine a world in which every single person on the planet has free access to the sum of all human knowledge.
- Jimmy Wales
That's a bold and exciting statement by Mr. Wales. I think Wikipedia is a valuable, every day resource for finding information...Oh snap! Maybe that's why I should donate. I hate when I do that — find reason when I saw no reason before. Damn me!

I'll have to ponder this more and see if I decide to donate. Because then I should donate to other free, valuable resources, huh? Damn, damn, damn me!

No comments: