Wednesday, December 09, 2009

In the news 12/09/2009

From CBS11TV:
AT&T Says Usage-Based Data Price Is Coming

Article here as long as it lasts

I'm not an AT&T cellular customer but to me this is just wrong and bad for business. The problem is that customers won't make a stand and will still pay the fees because they don't want to do without their little iPhones and such.

The real simple solution albeit probably expensive for AT&T is to just make sure your equipment can handle the product(s) you are selling before you sell them.

I'm a Sprint customer. Yes their customer service typically sucks ass and charging a one-time fee to add a new phone is utterly ridiculous (especially when AT&T sim cards pop in and out of phones without any charge) but they have a pretty good SIMPLY EVERYTHING plan at a good rate. I don't use the data a whole lot other than email and email attachments through my Blackberry Curve 8330 but I think it still is a decent plan. Maybe if, when, the iPhone moves from AT&T exclusivity or a very comparable phone makes it to the Sprint line of phones, then we'll be able to see how good the EVERYTHING plan really is.

Either way, I just think it's sticking it to your customers to have tiered charges. Do it with Internet because different people have different needs but with cellular I think it should be a one-size-fits-all kind of deal.


Live Long and Prosper!

No comments: