Thursday, January 28, 2010

Any thoughts on web hosting?

I'm thinking about getting my own personal domain. I also want to get a place to host this web site.

I saw a link on SlickDeals for GoDaddy for a 1-yr domain name registration for $.99. I assume that's a good price. I don't know. I'm new to this because I usually search out the free (with or without ads) web hosting.

I remember using Geocities. Loved that place for my basic, meager needs. It's gone. I've tried a few others like Weebly and Webs. They are okay but I want something with a little more control for building/coding the pages myself and just uploading them. Now these may have that option but I either haven't found it, haven't looked hard enough, or haven't had the time yet. What I do like so far about Weebly and Webs and the way they present photos. They open in kind of a slideshow format which makes it a nicer viewing experience. I have seen coding/Java that can create web pages and stuff for you to do this but if it's built in, all the better.

I like free, or very, very cheap. That being said, I think the Deluxe Plan at GoDaddy might be a good fit. I don't know what the MySQL databases are for but I'm sure I can look it up. I don't need the email accounts. The space and transfers are more important. The space is obvious and I think the transfers means the total bandwith a month(?). To start, I would use the web hosting more for uploading, saving and sharing photos with family and friends so I guess that's the transfers(?) but not sure. Again, I'm sure I can find the answer for sure somewhere. I believe I will probably upload more than 10GB of pictures but not sure.

Then I think that I am such a tight wad with my money that I think PicasaWeb is just fine. If I needed more storage for it then I think I can handle $5/yr for 20GB or $20/yr for 80GB.

No comments: