Thursday, January 21, 2010

Yahoo! needs to get their shit together

So, this is the left-hand menu in the "new" Yahoo. I've been meaning to bitch about this for some time but I just got around to it.

If you look at this screen cap, you'll see that Yahoo! is trying to hard to compete with other Internet-based email programs, blogging sites, and/or photo-sharing sites.

I'm an Outlook user. I have DSL and I have the emails set to download to Outlook so I technically never have to open a web browser to check my email, not to mention that I also have a Blackberry which does basically the same as my Outlook.

The main part that bugs the crap out of me is the applications section. I can't turn it off. I can minimize it after logging in and doing so but it comes back when I log in again after logging out or closing the browser. I would presume this is something you can turn off if it was the paid version of Yahoo! Mail but I'm using the free and will always use the free version. As such, I would never use the calendar nor the notepad. I do have and use a Flickr account but I don't need the quick-click access from my Yahoo! Mail account.

Anyway, sometimes I think companies should do a better job at polling/surveying their current customer base (or polling/surveying if they didn't) because I really don't think that Yahoo! did.

I guess I'll just have to deal with it until the next "upgrade."


No comments: