Friday, January 08, 2010

Chick-fil-a coffee versus McDonald's coffee (pt 2)

I just posted about this the other day here. I actually started that post pre-Christmas, maybe even weeks before that, but I didn't want it to show in the past somewhere deep in the confines of the blog.

It must have been karma because two days after finally posting, I decided to take the kids to Chickfila for breakfast on the way to school. I sent my oldest in to make, pay and bring the order back out to the car since it's damn cold in Dallas right now (it's mainly the wind though). After ordering and paying, I saw her (the manager) say something to my kid while they waited for the hot-off-the-steamer grub. The manager recognizes us every time we go in because, as I said, we were frequent visitors for mainly coffee but also the Minis. She gives my kid an empty coffee cup and lid while saying something. I see my kid walk to the left out of sight in the direction of the coffee urns. My assumption is the manager said to take your parent a cup of coffee for being so wonderful and having such cute and polite kids.

My kid comes out with the coffee and food order and hands me the coffee saying the manager said that she just got new coffee and wanted me to try it. I don't drink it straight so I had to wait until I got home after dropping the kids off at school. My wife was home and I told her the story.

She sampled it first. Crinkling her nose, she said, "Uh, uh." I said, "Really?" I took the cup, put in my milk, sipped (swigged) and I had to agree with her. It was better as it didn't taste like pond water but it was still pretty bitter tasting.

In their defense, I didn't know which urn my kid got the coffee from. This restaurant usually had light, dark, decaf (from left to right) but I don't know if this was still the case. My kid said the coffee came from the furthest urn to the left but, again, I don't know for sure how they set it up with the "new" coffee. Like I said, the coffee wasn't horrible. It was just really bitter...strong may be a better descriptor. This being the case, my kid could have gotten the dark - which is more bitter (or strong) for those people that like it that way.

For now, I will give Chickfila the benefit of the doubt. I can't make it into the restaurant until tomorrow morning so I will hopefully be able to visit, select from the correct urn and give it a try.

I will let you know how it goes when I get to test.


No comments: