Friday, January 15, 2010

People are stupid #1000

I occasionally read Mark Cuban's blog. Not because I think he's an amazing writer or that I really give a shit about what he writes. I've just got nothing else to do at random moments throughout my day and I feel like seeing what ridiculous insight he might have in the future of the world.

Actually, he occasionally does have some interesting comments on certain things. Other times he takes his billionaire-ness a little over the top. I don't think it's that he pushes his knowledge and "expertise" on people as he just has his own opinion on things. I don't think he has any valuable knowledge to help my financially but he does make for a humorous read now and then.

Take, for instance, this post. The whole "pimping out his daughter" comment is funny but that's not what gets my attention.

I don't know what platform he is writing from (i.e. iPhone, Blackberry, Laptop, etc.) but it obviously doesn't have a spell check feature. I can forego the occasional keystroke miss but blatant ignorance is difficult to overlook. Again, I'm not professing to being a genius at everything because I almost lost (in my own mind) $1,000 last night while watching "Are you smarter than a 5th grader?" because I couldn't remember what the hell a linking verb was. I would have gotten the answer on sheer guessing but...anyway...back on topic.

If you look at Cuban's post, 2nd paragraph 5th sentence, you'll see how he shows emphasis by upper-casing the word "LAZYNESS." Oh no, that's not my spelling. That's how he spelt/spelled it.

My point is/are (1) I don't question that Cuban is a smart guy at the things he is good at but perception is key in all things and when he can't spell worth shit it makes me question his overall intelligence, (2) I don't know why people think Cuban would be a good business partner other than a man with very, VERY deep pockets but I guess that's all that matters to start.

Cuban isn't a great or even good businessman. What he is, was lucky. He worked hard and built his own company (MicroSolutions) and sold it for a $2mil profit when the dot-com/computer boom was gaining in popularity. Then, he and a few buddies started something they wanted for themselves. It turned into something bigger and he just happened to be in the right place at the right time when Yahoo! wanted to purchase AudioNet or Broadcast.com. This made him a billionaire and now he had HUMONGOUSLY deep pockets to take a chance with other ventures. So far, those ventures have been good but I don't read anywhere that they (excluding the Mavs) are the same as the two previous endeavors.

Okay, so before I get too deep and useless, my final point is that why people think rich people like Cuban (and Donald Trump) are these great business-minded people is beyond me. Yes, they are rich mo-fos but it's not remotely because of their insight. Once you got money, it's easy to invest in other ventures. Some work some don't but you really don't feel the "don'ts" as much if the investment wasn't over done. Trump for example has probably lost as much money as he has gained. For the longest time, Trump was in the red. I'm not sure if he still is or not but people ask him for advice...why?

Anyway, once again, I've had to do some work since starting this post and I've lost my original "good and mindful" train of thought. So, I'll end here.

No comments: