Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Bend me over, force it on me, then take my money

The Dallas Stars' organization is a money(blood)-sucking institution. Granted every business needs to make money but trying to force the issue on its customers is a little over the top.

I was interested in maybe attending the Stars versus Avalanche game on January 29th.

I, of course, am a pretty cheap bastard. I like to attend the occasional game but I don't need to be really close to the rink, especially at the exorbitant costs. It's one thing for just me to pay $50+ but to add the wife and kids that $50+ turns into $200+ and that shit's just not going to happen since my family isn't as into the Stars as I.

So, I thought, I'll try and get some tickets somewhat early. I wasn't really concerned with the actual opponent. I just wanted an evening Friday or Saturday game since my kids would be going and I didn't want them up late the night before a school day. To find that the 29th was against the Avalanche was a bonus...until...

Look at these screen caps. You can see that I select the $20 nose bleed seats in cap #1.

I click CONTINUE and it churns a little bit until I get these results in cap #2.

As you can see, I went from my peasant pricing of $20 a seat to the all-mighty-Stars'-computer-recommended seats of $150 a seat. Are you fucking kidding me? I'm sure I might think about it if I had money coming out my ass or wiped my ass with hundred dollar bills but then again, I doubt it. IMHO, you really don't get much of a benefit from mid-arena seating versus nose-bleed seating.

Anyway, it would have been different if I selected "Best Available" or "Fuck Me In The Ass Without Lubrication" seating but I didn't. I specifically selected the "Paid-For-By-Recycling-Aluminum-Cans" seating.

I did see the little notification outside of the some of the seat selections that says, "Dynamic Pricing." Some would think this meant good pricing and they'd be wrong. If you read the fine print, it says that some games and some seatings at these games will be rated at the current going rate depending on how well the team is doing, who they are playing, if the "company" just wants to randomly fuck it's customer/fan base, etc., etc., blah, blah.

I guess the $20 listing price is basically just to let people know that $20 is the absolute lowest these seats will ever go for but most definitely not the actual rate unless the market at that particular time states that $20 is the rate to be charged...blah...blah...blah.

Oh, I meant to point out that the $150 seats are actually closer to the rink and not the nose bleed section but, again, that's not the option I picked.

Also, after further tinkering with the seat selecting, I found that the nose bleed section indeed is available at $20 but only for single seating. They automatically direct me to the $150 seats if I select 2 or more. Bastards!


No comments: