Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Brookhaven Community College

I just visited Brookhaven Community College for the 3rd time (I think) in my life.

The 1st was to drop my niece's husband off for his classes so I could use their truck to haul something I needed a truck to move.

The 2nd time I very vaguely recall. I don't know why but I feel like I've been there once before this time and the 1st time.

The 3rd time, which was today, I had to attend my B&W II photography class at Brookhaven.

This is the first time I was able to walk the campus. I entered the parking lot through the front entrance off Alpha Road. This entrance led me straight to the Student Center building, Building S it is called. I parked. Entered the building and asked where my professor's exhibit was. It was in Building D near the back of the campus. I assume it is the fine arts building but I don't recall if it had a particular name like Building S. So, I was able to journey through at least part of the campus.

I must say that since I was able to do so, I found that the campus is pretty nice. It's not a huge campus. In fact, I think that Tarrant County College Northeast Campus in Hurst is bigger. I'm not sure if the buildings are bigger at TCC or more spread across the campus or what but TCC really seems bigger and I think it is.

Anyway, the campus had some nice architecture, fountains and art. The buildings seemed spacious and cozy at the same time. Some of the hallways and classrooms look like they need to be "modernized" and brought out of the late 80s/early 90s. I did find it sort of empty of a plethora of students. I don't know if it just happened I was there during class time or if it was a typical Wednesday afternoon. The campus has quite a decent-sized parking lot and it seemed fairly empty as well.

So, the reason I had class at Brookhaven is for my professor's exhibit/showing of a few (40) of his prints over five decades of taking photos. I thought his prints were pretty awesome. Some of them I thought were very cool while others I think were good, interesting, thought-provoking in the sense some made me nostalgic but others were just "normal" in the sense that it seemed anyone could have taken them and anyone could think they were awesome, like me. What's nice about him and his work is that he has his own darkroom and plenty of time to print one after the other if need be. I'm not minimizing his work and efforts. I'm just saying that it would be nice to be able to hone a craft in such a way as having the lab, workroom, or darkroom in your own backyard to practice.

Anyway, that's what my afternoon entailed.

Sent on the Super Jay Network from Super Jay's BlackBerry®


No comments: