Monday, July 18, 2005

Birthday cake at work

The office just got me a really rich and chocolaty cake for my birthday. I think each piece I cut was about 1 1/2in by 1 1/2in square and weighed like a pound each!

It had chocolate and caramel frosting. Death in disguise of a cake! Good times to follow.

I was thinking about my past birthdays while at my job the past six years. I've been able to miss them celebrating my birthday for four of those six years. It's not that I hate getting older because I'm only 34 years old now.

Sometimes when they do birthdays they do it because they feel obligated because they celebrated other people's birthdays in the office so they can't very well not do it for everyone. I don't look for this acceptance but luckily for them they actually like me as a person and coworker so what they do is true and not out of some shallow obligation.

I do a lot for this office, the entire facility at times, and it's nice to be honestly appreciated at times. Although it would be much nicer to be appreciated for my hard work around review time. They're not generous with the raises but it's not because I suck. It's because the campus I work for and the school I work for in particular are puckered-ass tight wads!

But that's another story.

In general, birthdays to me are just another day in my life that have been made much better for the past eight years because I get to share them with my wife AND kids. To see them be so excited to share in a birthday celebration so simple, just leaves me in sentimental awe. They helped baked a small batch of brownies and picked out a great card! We had one candle for the brownies and I asked them to help me blow it out after their rendition of "Happy Birthday." The pure, honest joy I see radiate from their faces is just so heart-warming that I could tear up now.

I'm such a girlie man! I guess I'd better get back to work before people see this big ol' cry baby and wonder if I need some professional psychiatric attention.

No comments: