Tuesday, July 26, 2005

NASA, we have lift off!

Today, space shuttle Discovery successfully lauched into space for a 12-day mission. After further review of the lauch tapes, the imagery team says two pieces of debris had been seen falling about two minutes after launch when the booster rockets detached but will not know what effect this might have had on the shuttle until further, closer review.

They say this is a great step for the nation of America towards returning to space, to the moon, to Mars. I'll believe it when we get to Mars!

The last time I actually watched a shuttle launch was when the Challenger (I think) exploded upon take off about twenty years ago. I was in physical science class in junior high and the teacher brought in a television so my class could watch the launch. At first, we thought the explosion was a hoax but soon realized it was true, live television. I hadn't watched a "live" launch since but not because I was traumatized. It's more because I wasn't made to watch them.

Anyway, a successful mission and safe trip home to the astronauts.

No comments: