Monday, June 27, 2005

Class is over!

I finished class today. All I had to do was my oral presentation. My famous immigrant was Martina Navratilova. I figured I would talk about something I knew about versus just doing a book report presentation. I think it went well. I had a few stutter-moments with my dates but all-in-all felt it was good. I really don’t give a shit to tell you the truth! It was probably the best if not at least in the top three…in my opinion. Of course, I should be because I am almost twice the age of my classmates! LOL! I’ve had business speaking experience. I’ve trained groups of people with hand-outs and visual aids. Now that I think about it. It wasn't as fluent as I wanted it to be but it’s not completely my fault. I didn’t get time to practice it before class today.

Last night (Sunday) I had to take my brother to the emergency room. I had my team’s playoff hockey game at 7 p.m. My brother’s team game was at 8 p.m. We had another game at 9 p.m. that both of us play on for another league. Anyway, my friend (who plays on the 9 p.m. team as well) and I were watching my bro’s game because he and I were the 7pm game on separate teams…I know, confusing isn’t it? My bro was trying to take a puck from a guy from the other team and his stick was caught in his jersey. He was trying to pull it out and was in an awkward-kind-of-lunging position. The guy turned around and brought his stick up and busted my bro in the face. My bro went down on his back on the rink just gushing blood. I got the hell up out my seat and ran to the restroom to get some toilet tissue. The damn dispenser kept sticking and so instead of long wad of toilet paper, I got a bunch of shrapnel. I still had my skates on and went to my bro’s side and put the shrapnel near his nose, his mouth…shit, I couldn’t tell where he was bleeding from. No one around him could. We thought his nose was broken because we saw all his teeth and his tongue was in one piece.

He was bleeding pretty badly and spitting blood. Someone had a t-shirt they brought to help with the blood and then finally one of the employees of the rink brought some ice from the snack bar – in a little fucking snack size ziplock bag. WTF!? Anyhow, we asked him some questions to make sure he was aware and all. He replied in our family’s typical smart-ass way. We carried him off the rink and let him sit against the wall. He was still a little groggy and to be safe we decided to call 911 for the paramedics to check him out. Lot a good they did. Those people are worthless sometimes and make good money for it. They asked him the same shit we did: What’s the date? Who is the president? Where are you? Are you gay? Okay not that last one but I was checking to see if you were paying attention. They told him that they recommended he go to the emergency room and they could take him or someone else could but not himself. Of course, being his brother I guess the chore fell to me by default. I contemplated playing my game at 9 p.m. – it was about 8:45 p.m. – and then taking him or taking him now and missing the game. Man, that was a tough decision. I decided to get out of my skate gear and take him. I figured the team we were playing that we were going to lose anyway so I would really just be getting extra skating time. We automatically get to play another game anyway. I guess family is more important…sometimes. Lol!

I take him to the hospital and my friend that plays on the team as well followed us. He has known me and my family for around twenty years so he thought it was best for him to lend a hand. I think he didn’t particularly want to play the 9pm game either. Anyway, we went to Richland Community or Richland something hospital. It was quick. The nurse checked us in. It was like a five minute wait and they took us back to a bed in the ER. The doctor came about 10 minutes later. They found that it looked like his two front teeth went bit completely through the top lip. The cut on top was too bad. It looked just like a scratch or small cut. The doctor lifted his lip to see the under side and it was like shrapnel, dude! It was like a pencil hole with a starburst of shredded, torn skin around it. Pretty cool! My bro and friend both have camera phones. My friend’s was better quality but we used both to take pictures of it. Hopefully, they’ll come out and I can post them on the web. Good times. Anyway, the doc put two stitches on top and three on bottom of the lip. They gave him a pain killing shot beforehand. I think it was lidocaine because novocaine makes my bro’s heart race. Well, this did too because they are all part of the same family of medicine. He was fine though. Afterwards, I had to drive his ass all the way home to Euless…about 45 minutes from where we were. It was like 11pm or so. My friend followed us so he could drive me back. I finally got home around 12:15 a.m. It was Monday morning now.

I couldn’t get to sleep. I was a little wired and we had stopped by Jack in the Box to get something to eat on the way back. I hadn’t eaten since about 2 p.m. that day. I was starving but I probably could have waited until I woke later that morning. My friend bought so I figured I’d take advantage of his “generosity.”

Around 8 a.m. this morning, the alarm went off but I really didn’t want to get up. I thought about calling into work and saying I’d be late but I still had class at 10am. I figured, screw it. I go ahead and go to work and then class and then finish this long, tiring Monday.

I got home. The wife went to work. I cooked dinner and took care of my kiddos. Around 9 p.m, I started to get a headache. By 9:30 p.m, it was basically a migraine. I put the kids to bed. They asked if they could sleep in my bed and I said yes because I'm a lazy pushover. I had to stay awake though until my wife got home because she didn't have her house key. So, I was up until at least 10:30 p.m. I went to bed around 11pm and that's about all I remember.

So, that's why I didn't get to practice my oral presentation. What about Saturday, you ask? No comment!

No comments: