Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I think someone is bitter

My wife's best friend came over to swim with her kids yesterday while I was at work. I came home for lunch and she seemed a little pissy towards me. It doesn't bother me and I don't care how she feels but I just thought it was funny why she was pissy.

Let me do a little backgrounding on the best friend. They've been friends for a very long time, about twenty years. For that past few years or so, my wife and I have schedule "self" days. We have kids and we both work so we need a little free time once in a while. We decided that Friday would be mine and Saturday would be hers. On her night, she and her best friend would typically go out on a Friday to dance and drink at some club. Eventually, her best friend needed to switch her night which affected my wife's night so we went to Friday hers, Saturday mine.

Anyhow, they were doing the weekly outing pretty much every week for a couple of years. About 6-8 months ago, the best friend's husband came home from a "business" trip and put a stop to his wife's going out each week. No one knows why but there was a big hooplah about it between them and he changed their cell phone numbers and he also had a computer logger on their home network that he used to monitor her surfing habits and invade her actual email account. Long story short, they had a big fight. He told her she could no longer go out and have fun with her best friend - my wife. Like a battered wife, she said that it was partially her fault although we don't know what she did - we don't think she really knows. She also said that they were going to focus on their (her and her husband's) marriage/relationship. She even went so far as to criticize our situation by saying that she "enjoys spending time with her husband so she doesn't need to go out every week or even every other week."

She would occasionally call my wife to go out on a Friday or Saturday. My wife would check to see what my plans were and I'd say "go ahead, have fun. I'm not doing anything." Plus, she was typically going out after the kids were already in bed. The time would come for my wife to leave to go meet her friend somewhere and she'd get a call from said friend saying that the husband was coming. My wife would say she didn't want to go anymore and refused to budge, for good reason. When he came home that time to cancel all outings for his wife and all, he argued and yelled at my wife. If my wife or I gave a shit at what he said, I would have had to kick his ass but we knew he was being stupid, crazy and completely ridiculous. Since that time, my wife refuses to hang with her friend if the husband is coming because he disrespected her. My wife even told him as much and he half-assedly, jokingly apologized but my wife is the woman they are talking about in the statement, "there is nothing worse than a woman scorned!"

There is a little more to it but I won't go into it in case they somehow happen upon my blog. I don't want to cause any more riff between my wife and her "best" friend.

So finally, last Sunday the friend got "paroled" from her house to go out and do something with my wife. My wife was all for it and was a little excited about going shopping or having coffee but...she had forgotten for some reason that I had two roller hockey games that day. One at 4pm and one at 8pm. So, her time out was pretty much cancelled unless they wanted to take the kids but that's not what they wanted. The friend kept telling my wife that I should not go to my games or blah, blah, blah but it's not like my wife didn't know already about them. Every Sunday I have a game. The time fluctuates but the day is the same. I have no problem with my wife having a little "alone" time. We all need it now and again and I don't go anywhere anyhow except for my hockey and tennis.

When I saw the friend during lunch, she told me, "I'm mad at you!" I said, "Oh, why is that? Because your husband gave you permission to go out and my wife couldn't because I already had plans?" She said, "MY HUSBAND DOES NOT LET ME DO ANYTHING!" I said, "Exactly!" She mumbled something as I was leaving to return to work and I turned and said, "if I had time, I'd explain to you that which you seem to overlook but I have to get back to work!" She just threw her hands in the air, perturbed.

I was amused as I got back in my vehicle to drive to work. At the same time, I was irritated by the fact that, when it's obviously their own fault, some people can't admit they are the cause of their pain and suffering! Let's have a little introspection, people. Jeez!

So, the "best" friend went home still bitter. Bitter at the wrong person(s) but still bitter.

I'm still chuckling now...

No comments: