Wednesday, June 29, 2005

The nerve of some people

I took my kids out to dinner tonight. Their mom said they were really, really good today so I figured they deserved a treat. Plus, we do not have jack crap in the refrigerator or pantry.

We went to Wendy's. I got the spicy, crispy chicken sandwich meal. I got them a classic burger with cheese meal. I also ordered a small frosty for them - remember the dessert they deserved - but they had to eat dinner first.

They chose the place to sit and I bring the food over. I'm getting their food ready. They are sharing the burger so I had to cut it in half.

We haven't been sitting for more than 5-10 minutes and this older man walks up to my table and places a piece of paper or card or something on my table. I pick it up and it said some shit like this, "I am deaf. I am selling these to..." That's about as far as I got and then I turned it over and I saw about 30 different hand signs. Oh, maybe they were the alphabet. I didn't pay too much attention. I gave it back to him and waved him off.

Then I started thinking. The nerve of some people! Deaf, dumb or completely healthy. I don't give a shit! I don't like to be bothered during my dinner with my family, especially for some friggin' pity party! "Hey, I'm poor! I'm being evicted and my rent is going to increase! I'm going to stress out and lose my hair and my beer gut (that isn't from drinking beer)!" But do you see me trying to sell CRAP to people? No!

I've been approached by the deaf, dumb and needy before. In Taco Bell one time, I was with the whole family and this Mexican dropped a braided leather key chain thing with some similar tag on it about "being deaf and selling." But at least this Mexican, showed some talent with the braided leather.

This asshole tonight at Wendy's had the talent of photocopying! This piece of paper he said he was "selling" was a photocopy.

First of all, I'm not going to give to you because if you were truly needy you wouldn't have had a Wendy's drink and large fries on your table! Second, I'd give $2 to deaf Pablo for his leather braided key chain before I gave anything to deaf Peter!

My dinner was interrupted because I was tossing thoughts around in my head about "was I being rude and uncaring" or "should I be even more pissed because this guy made me think of these things"?

There was a couple with a little child - I think it was a boy but not sure - probably around 4-5 yrs old. The father asked the "deaf man" if he wanted him to buy him a hamburger. The father went to the counter and ordered him a burger. The family left and about five minutes afterwards the "deaf man" walked out the door. I saw him walk across the street and enter the Humperdinks bar/restaurant.

So, now I was even more pissed that this jerkoff made me feel that very brief three seconds of doubt. But I felt much better when I thought about that father that got taken.

Question now is: Is it better to not get burned or to think you are doing a good deed whether you get burned or not? I already know my answer.

No comments: