Saturday, June 04, 2005

Feeling old

Got up early this morning to play tennis. Went to bed early the same morning to sleep before playing tennis. I know I do it to myself but when the hell else am I supposed to find the time to do the slack-ass things I like to do? I figured I had a good outline for my paper that is due on Monday so I deserved some slacking off time.

My often-full-of-paranoia sister-in-law (my wife's sister...my sisters are crazy, not paranoid) was at our place most of the day Friday to visit and let her son swim with his cousins. The option to spend the night at her house, an hour away, was put to my girls and they were willing to go. I didn't have a problem with it but I could envision my kids wearing metal colanders with foil bands on their heads to ward off any storms or physical ailments that might be lingering about. Seriously! A tornado could have been sighted two hours from our location and we'd get a call from the sister-in-law that we need to be careful if we were going to drive about. She's crazy, I tell ya, crazy! Lol!

Anyway, the kids went to stay the night and the wifey and I had the night off. We went to Blockbuster and got the movie "The Aviator." It was a pretty good movie. It was long but still good. I had no idea Howard Hughes was OCD like he was. Once again for you nimrods that aren't married to a PhD, that's "obsessive, compulsive disorder."

After the movie, we had a litte "alone" time. It was unfamiliar territory for us to not have to lock the door to our bedroom. We've done it for so long that it felt weird to be intimate without children in the house. It was almost like we were exposing ourselves with the door open. Quite strange, really. Even with all the oddness of being alone and the occasional feeling of missing our girls, it was still a grand old time.

After our reenactment of the Pamela Anderson/Tommy Lee video (just kidding), we went back to doing the things we normally do: she at her computer, me at mine. She went to bed around 11:30pm and I stayed up until about 2am.

I got up around 7:30 because I wanted to get to the courts early. I figured the weather might get pretty hot and humid so I wanted to get in some playing before I started feeling the effects of the harsh weather conditions. Many times though just after I woke, I contemplated going back to sleep. I was so tired and I wouldn't have to worry about the kids waking me up since they were not there. Normally, I have to get up no matter how much sleep I've had because I live in a home with three demanding females. Anyway, I dragged myself out of bed and then off the couch to get dressed and leave for tennis. I was out the door by 8:10am and to the courts by about 8:40am. I played non-stop until about 1:30pm. It was humid in the morning with overcast skies. The sun came out around 10ish and stayed, burning down on the back of my poor little neck. Sunburn, good times! It's not so much a burn like white people get. It's more of just slightly reddish skin with a bit of tingling.

Once I left the tennis courts, I had to pick my kiddos up at queen conniption's house which was about 20-30 minutes from where I was. I got there and I was ready to just lie down on her floor and never get up again for the day. My back was sore and my legs were a little weak. Plus, it was so freaking hot and I ran out of my water with about an hours worth of playing left in the noon heat! It was tough to get back up off my ass when my kids wanted me to come outside and watch them ride their bikes. The things you have to endure as a great parent, like myself. Some craphole parent would have said they were too tired or made up other excuses not to share in their childrens' excitement. Anyway, I did my duty and watched them ride for about thirty minutes.

I was dying to sit in some air-conditioning. I was so hot. I could smell the aroma of outside permeating off me. It wasn't body odor because I don't get that. It's a certain smell, my kids get it when they've been outside playing in the hot, Texas summer. It's like a bland odor. I don't know, it's hard to explain but I'm sure all of us have smelled it.

I was hungry too and so were the kids. We decided to go to Denny's. Afterwards, we stopped by to see my brother and then my sister but she was asleep. I got home around 8:40pm that night. Notice that is 12 hours of excitement and fun (woohoo!) with only 5-6 hours sleep. I'm a machine! Lol.

I started working on my paper. I'm such a good student. Not! We put the kids to bed around 9 or so and I continued to work until about 11pm. I decided I needed to take a break and play some computer games. Not only did I play, I watched "Elektra" and got half way through "Along Came A Spider" before I realized it was 2:30am.

I was tired and old all day but got my second wind, I guess. I forced myself to go to bed only to look forward to getting up early to continue working on my paper. And watch the men's French Open final.

No time. No sleep. It's a perpetual state of madness for me.

No comments: