Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Peter Pan

Just got back a little while ago from watching the play/musical, "Peter Pan", at Music Hall in Fair Park through Dallas Summer Musicals. It's only the second time I've "gone" somewhere to see a play. The other play I saw and enjoyed was "Miss Saigon" with my wife at Bass Hall in Downtown Fort Worth.

The show was pretty good. Peter Pan was played by Cathy Rigby. You know, the Olympic gymnast turned actress, turned singer. She was actually pretty good as the "boy who never grew up" but her singing could have been better. Now, I say this as an outsider who is watching. I'm not the one that's doing cart wheels, walking handstands and jumping in general while holding a tune. There were occasions when she wasn't doing these energetic things and I couldn't make out what she was singing or it wasn't sounding exactly on pitch. Though, I could only hope that I would have the strength and energy that she showed in the play at 53yrs old.

The actor that played Hook could have been much better. He, too, did some energetic acting but mostly he was just walking or standing while singing. He was very hard to understand not only when he sang but just speaking his lines as well. I found myself straining to follow his conversations rather than being able to just sit and enjoy the interaction between him and whoever it was at the time.

Tiger Lily was hot! Now, I was in the nose-bleed section of EE, row J, but she looked pretty darn good from my point of view, regardless. Oh yeah, she sang fairly well too!

One of the bestest parts, for me anyway, was when Peter Pan and Tiger Lily became friends and they did this whole dancing, drumming, tapping sticks thing to celebrate their "union". It was quite exciting and entertaining. Plus, I got to see a lot more of Tiger Lily. Bonus!

My kids enjoyed it and that's the important part. It was extra credit that I actually enjoyed it as well. I would sit through it again rather than the movie "Finding Neverland" any day!

No comments: