Saturday, June 18, 2005

How many times...

...can I piss off the wife in a week? I am on a roll. Two times in three days I have pissed off the wife. The previously mentioned occurrence and now a new one.

A few days ago, I told my wife that I think we deserved to have a nice lunch out for our pain and suffering: my dealing with class (pain) and our dealing with having to move and endure more expensive rent (suffering). I told her that I thought we should go to Ozona's or some "nice" restaurant after I got back from playing tennis on Saturday.

Well, it is Saturday and I went to play tennis this morning around 7:45am. I got to the courts around 8:15am because it was forcasted to be pretty damn hot and I figured I'd get a few sets in before the old guys started leaving by choice or in an ambulance.

Anyway, I was done playing around 12:20 p.m. I called the wife at 12:26pm to let her know I was at a particular intersection and on my way to my Mom and Dad's place to pick up my brother's computer. He called the night before to say he was having computer problems and asked if I could check it out. I told him to take it to our parents' because he was going out of town today for his job and wouldn't be back until Sunday. Anyway, the traffic was particularly congested for some reason and a drive that is normally about 10-15 minutes took about 25 minutes. So, the time is not roughly 12:54 p.m.

I get there and my oldest brother actually has the air-conditioning on. I decided to sit and rest a bit because I just played 4 1/2 hours of tennis in about 95 degree weather with no breeze and few clouds. I also have to make the 25-30 minute drive home in my Jeep which has 2-60 air-conditioning: that's 2 windows down, 60 miles an hour (as defined by my dad). I soaked up the cool air and had me a Diet Dr Pepper. I shot the shit for a little bit with my brother and nephew.

I get a call about 1:26 p.m. from the wife and she's pissed. She says "don't make plans with somebody if you are going to call them and then an hour later still not be home!" She was yelling at me on the phone and I told her I was on my way. I just needed to take a break. "You haven't even left yet!?" was her reply. I think it was good karma because the cell phone was losing reception after the first 5 minutes of bitchin'. The line failed and once again there was peace. Lol! She called back about 5 minutes later after I was already on my way home but when I hit the 'TALK' button it said "Service cannot be used." Woohoo! Eternal peace...until I get home.

On thew way home, I hit more traffic because one of the lanes is closed due to a semi hauling 3000 gallons of fuel crashing and exploding underneath an underpass of the highway about a month ago. Nevertheless, I was home by 2:03 p.m! I think I made pretty damn good time from 12:26 p.m. to 2:03 p.m. no matter what the wife says.

Anyway, unlike the phone call before, she didn't draw it out when I got home. In fact, nothing was said. I took a shower, got dress, and we went to eat. There was no dwelling on the topic which was a good thing.

We ended up going to On The Border instead of Ozona's because the latter charges for their chips and salsa. At On The Border, chips and salsa are complementary as they should be. Anyhow, we had a great time and the food was great. It was a celebratory lunch; for almost being done with my first semester back in school, an early Father's Day lunch and just an all-around 'we deserve it' meal. The girls were very appreciative especially after we got them dessert: a brownie with ice cream and chocolate syrup and nuts. It was good!

We left the restaurant and went to look for place to rent u-haul trucks. We decided to rent one instead of borrowing family and friend's trucks. It will be quicker and easier for us and it'll probably end up costing the same because we'd have to buy boxes and stuff. Luckily, the wife's mother has some boxes she purchased when she moved and we are borrowing them. It's a good thing because the large boxes are like 24x24x24 and they cost $3.99 each at storage places that sell them.

I am so not looking forward to moving and having to take things down, pack them, unpack them and then set them back up in the new place. It really sucks!

No comments: